I think one of the best modifications/additions I’ve made to my ’87 Vanagon Westfalia is installing a Safe-T-Alert Carbon Monoxide & Propane Gas Alarm (Model MTI 35-742W). Yes I keep all of my propane items turned off while I sleep but I was still nervous. You hear of many people dying every year from Carbon Monoxide and/or LP poisoning. It got to the point where I was nervous sleeping in the van until I finally got my detector installed.
I originally ordered a White alarm and then realized that they were also available in Black so I ordered one of those as well. It was too late to cancel the White one I ordered and I got too lazy to return it to Amazon so I still have it. Brand spanking new and unopened. I could sell it online but I thought I’d hold a contest and give it away completely free of charge to a fellow Vanagon owner.
Honestly… It makes me feel a bit better knowing that I’ve made someone’s van out there a safer place to sleep in.
Here is the black version of this detector installed on my bench seat kick plate as shown in THIS BLOG ENTRY. The alarm I am giving away is identical to the one I have installed, it’s just white in color. Flush mount, hard wired into your van’s electrical system and draws a very small amount of power.
It really is nice having this alarm as the peace of mind is invaluable. You’ll love having it I’m sure!
Dual Propane/LP and Carbon Monoxide Alarm Features Include:
* Meets 1/1/05 requirements set by RVIA for CO alarms and Propane Detectors.
* Test/Reset Button – Mute alarm during ventilation. Tests both alarm functions with one touch.
* Both alarms are fully operational during mute cycle and will re-alarm if hazardous conditions recur.
* Both sensors continue to work during an alarm.
* 12 Volt – Hard Wired Model prevents accidental disconnection.
* Current draw 108mA @ 12VDC
* UL listed for Recreational Vehicles and Unconditioned Areas for both Carbon Monoxide & Propane/Natural Gas.
* Built for the extreme RV environment. One Year Limited Warranty.
* UL listed for Recreational Vehicles and Unconditioned Areas.
HOW TO ENTER:
Step 1: Leave a comment below telling me year and model of your van. ie. 1987 Vanagon Westfalia
Step 2: That’s it. You’re done.
I’ll collect comments/entries from May 13, 2014 through May 20, 2014 @ 7pm CST. I’ll announce a winner, I’ll update this post and contact them via email. I’ll then ship out their winnings FREE of charge!
If you’d like any more information on the product I’m giving away in this post feel free to check out the Amazon link below for more specs. Thanks!
May 11, 2014 9Owning an awning was not high on my Want List until I spent a full day trapped...